This roast has a hearty, nutty flavor and goes really well with grilled salmon for a nutritious meal. The ingredients may be harder to find but if you come across them I highly recommend trying out this method of preparing them.
The sunchokes are julienned raw and also quartered and roasted. The Japanese sweet potato is sliced into discs before being roasted, and the garlic scapes are sliced lengthwise to achieve a nice crunch.
Recipe after the jump.
Roasted Japanese Sweet Potatoes, Sunchokes & Garlic Scapes
For one. Double recipe for two.
- 1/4 lb salmon fillet
- 1 Japanese Sweet Potato
- 2 garlic scapes
- 4 sunchokes
- 2 thsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- pinch of furikake for garnish
1. Slice the Japanese sweet potato in 1/2 inch thick discs, quarter three of the sunchokes and julienne the fourth. Slice the garlic scapes lengthwise.
2. Toss the quartered sunchokes and sweet potatoes with the sesame oil and soy sauce and transfer to a foil lines baking sheet.
3. Roast at 400º for 40 minutes or so, until crispy and tender. Add the garlic scapes and roast for another 5-10 minutes.
4. Toss in the raw julienned sunchoke and sesame seeds.
5. Heat a pan over medium heat and grill salmon until just cooked, about 5 minutes for a 1/4 lb salmon steak. Add the salmon over the roasted vegetables and sprinkle with sesame seeds and/or furikake.