This kale salad is delicious. I got the ingredients from the farmer’s market this past weekend and they went together very well. The lacinta kale, also known as Tuscan kale is best for eating raw in salads when chopped finely. The multicolored carrots are sweet and tender after parboiling, and the Japanese cucumbers add a nice refreshing crunch. Topped off with shredded manchego and slivered almonds, this salad is satisfying, nutritious, and great for summer.
Recipe after the jump.
- 1/2 bunch (about 10-12 leaves) lacinta kale
- 6 young multicolored carrots
- 1 Japanese cucumber
- 1/3 cup shredded Manchego
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Wash the kale and remove the thick spines from each leaf. Then slice the kale in thin ribbons and add to a big salad bowl. Slice the cucumber on a bias and add that in.
2. Peel and par-boil the carrots until they are tender. Remove the carrots from the water, allow them to cool a bit, then slice them into 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Dress the salad with lemon juice and olive oil and toss well. Then add the shredded Manchego and slivered almonds to the top.