We had some friends over last night and made this amazing lasagna, recipe courtesy of Evan’s mom.
Butternut squash and sage are delicious together.
Recipe after jump.
Butternut Squash and Sage Lasagna
2 lbs butternut squash, cut into approx. 1-inch cubes peeled and deseeded
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ lb whole milk ricotta
¼ cup heavy cream
1 large egg yolk
¼ lb fresh mozzarella, coarsely grated
4 tbsp unsalted butter
¼ cup fresh sage leaves coarsely chopped
½ cup chicken stock (or veg. stock for vegetarian option)
¼ package of lasagna noodles
½ cup fine grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese
¼ cup pine nuts
1. Preheat oven to 425º, peel, clean, and chop butternut squash into 1-inch cubes. Toss with olive oil, salt & pepper and spread on baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or so, until gold & tender.
2. While butternut squash is baking, Boil water for the lasagna noodles.
Combine ricotta, heavy cream, mozzarella, egg yolk, and a pinch of allspice in medium bowl. Season with pinch of salt.
4. Melt 2 tbsp of the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once it begins to sizzle, add sage. Cook until the sage is lightly crisp and butter is browned. Pay attention so the butter doesn’t burn.
5. Put lasagna noodles in the pot of boiling water. Take them out after 10 minutes.
6. When butternut squash is ready, reduce the oven heat to 375º, remove squash and let cool for 5 minutes or so.
7. Once somewhat cooled, take half of the squash into a medium bowl and mash it with the back of a wooden spoon, then add the rest of the whole cubes, gently stir in sage butter and stock. Season with salt & pep.
8. Spread a half cup of cheese mixture in the bottom of a small baking dish. Top with a layer of noodles. Then spread the entire butternut squash mixture over noodles evenly. Then another layer of noodles, then the rest of the cheese mixture. Top with grated pecorino romano.
9. Put dish on top of a baking sheet and bake 30-35 minutes at 375º, then transfer to the broiler for a minute so the top is a bit browned.
10.Take the lasagna out and melt the other 2tbsp of butter in a saucepan. Add pine nuts and brown the butter.
Pour brown butter and pine nuts over the lasagna, let stand 15 minutes before serving. ENJOY!
Recipe yields 4 servings, but make extra if you want leftovers.
And if you want, use the leftover heavy cream to make whipped cream and serve with strawberries.